Here's how it works:
Each food blogger can submit one photograph that was posted to their blog during the contest month (February). Photographs are reviewed by a panel of judges, who score them in three categories: edibility, aesthetics, and originality. The host then compiles the scores to determine the winners. The specific things the judges will be looking for are as follows:
- Aesthetics: composition, food styling, lighting, focus, etc.
- Edibility: “does the photo make us want to dive in and eat the food?”
- Originality: the photograph that catches our attention and makes us want to say “wow!”, displaying something we might not have seen before.
- Overall Winner: top overall scores in all three categories combined
This month, we have a very exciting panel of judges, most from non-food blogging backgrounds:
- Melina Hammer is a professional food stylist, photographer, and metalsmith.
- Thorsten Kraska is a food photographer and co-founder of the Food Photography Club, one of the best food photography critique groups on flickr.
- Martha Larson is a Seattle-based professional child portrait and maternity photographer. She has a daily “everyday life” photo collaboration with another photographer that can be seen here.
- I am so excited to include Lou Manna as an esteemed judge. Lou is an award winning Olympus Visionary photographer whose work has appeared in national ad campaigns, major magazines, and more than thirty cookbooks. He is also the author of one of the few digital food photography “how to” books, Digital Food Photography.
- Dayna McIsaac (December 2007's DMBLGIT host) is a fellow food blogger with not one, but two blogs: Food + Photography and Vegan Visitor.
How to enter your photograph:
- Only one entry per person (a single photograph, no diptychs)
- The photograph must have been taken by you.
- The photograph must have appeared on your blog during the month of February.
- Entries must be received by March 25, 2008 6:00 pm.
- your name
- your blog’s name and URL
- your photograph’s title
- the URL of the post containing the photograph
- type of camera used
- Please send photos of no more than 350 pixels in width
Good luck everyone! Bring the photos on!
Thank you Andrew from Spittoon Extra (founder of the event), for passing the baton to me this month.
P.S. The results of last month's event can be seen on Bake or Break. Guess who placed first, getting her first ever DMBLGIT award? I did! For Grown Up Graham Crackers. Yipee! I'm still in shock. Thanks for hosting last month Jennifer, and thank you very generous judges!